A new horror title, Unholy, is on the way to us all with Unholy seeming to change up how we interact in these kinds of games
Put one more mark down on the list of horror games that are on the way out to us all with the announcement we have for Unholy here. This is an upcoming title from both Duality Games and HOOK for the PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC that will be taking us all down a dark and dirty path as the title implies. You do not name a game Unholy unless there is something truly twisted and weird about to happen to the game’s protagonist or us. All while doubling down with the Death Metal themed logo too. But I am getting off topic a bit, so let us dive into what we know about this upcoming psychological horror title that may or may not be ready to scare us all half to death.
In Unholy, and like in so many other horror titles, there is a child missing out there and we are on the side of trying to find this missing youngster. All while going about the various other puzzles and exploration that goes along with it all too. All while shifting between two different realities and facing off with various enemies along the way. The one difference here for Unholy, though, is that it is using some form of different combat mechanics that focuses on emotions to interact, confuse, lure, or straight out damage all of the opponents out there. That is the part I am most interested in seeing, but for now, we only have a little teaser to look at and give us some of these basics. Have a look and see if it is going to be able to stand out at all.
Unholy — Teaser
HOOK and Polish developer Duality Games have released a brand new teaser trailer as part of the recent Tokyo Game Show for Unholy, the new first-person psychological horror experience coming to PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S/X in 2023.
Unholy follows the disappearance of a young child from a run down, unwelcoming post-soviet town. Using exploration, puzzle solving, and innovative combat mechanics, players will traverse between reality and a twisted Unholy world to unveil the terrifying truth.
Where is your child? Open the doors between your everyday reality and a dark unholy world to unveil the mystery. Explore both worlds to find clues, solve puzzles, decide whether you infiltrate or fight brutal enemies, and stand up to an aberrant establishment.
- 🎭 Two parallel worlds to explore. The grey and cold reality of a brutalist post-soviet Eastern European town and the creepy and twisted world of Unholy, a grotesque society ruled by a relentless priest caste.
- 🎭 An intense psychological horror experience driven by a deep dark narrative storyline played over captivatingly dark quality visuals based on the works of reputed dark artist Tomasz Strzałkowski (Duality Games Art director and founder).
- 🎭 A unique gameplay blend that combines meticulous exploration, intriguing puzzle solving, infiltration, and stealth with innovative shooting dynamics.
- 🎭 An innovative combat system. Use four different emotions: anger, fear, sadness, and desire to interact with the environment (destroy obstacles, trigger mechanisms, overload circuits, illuminate your way) or to confuse, lure or damage your opponents.
- 🎭 Masks! Everybody in the unholy world hides behind a mask and it can be the difference between life or death. Build your own mask to get new skills and improve your abilities or wear other masks to infiltrate, confuse your enemies and impersonate your opponents.
Do you think that Unholy sounds like it will be a horror title that is able to stand out or will it get lost in the mix of all the others flooding the market? How do you think some of these emotions will be used or will it be something we have to build up over time in the game for specific access of use? How often will we have to move between worlds or will that always be set on a specific path for us to follow as other titles have done? Sound off in the comments and then feel free to discuss it all if you so wish to do so. Our eyes are now focused in on Unholy and we will keep sharing all that we can for the game. Please keep checking in for all of those updates and everything else that will be flowing out there along the way.