Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York
A new bit of gameplay for Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York is here to give us an idea on how our next vampire will act
We have been teased before with gameplay for Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York and now we are back with something a bit more concrete to look at for the game. That is, some of the first real gameplay for the game since Draw Distance teased us that it was coming in the first place. There is still no date as to when we will get to see this new story in the Vampire line of things, but it is still heading to the PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. Still stated to be sometime in the Summer of 2020 but that is quickly wrapping up and only so many days before we start aiming for a Fall 2020 timeline.
That all said, here we go with some tastes for the gameplay we will get to experience in Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York. Given that this is another visual novel-based game, it is a lot of fancy pictures to tell part of the story and a whole lot of text for us to read. Mix in some of the traditional and hard choices we need to make in the world of Vampire: The Masquerade and we have about what we can expect for now. If you do not believe me, you can see it all just below and see that there is not too much to go on here. It is nice to see and I am hopeful we will see it all very soon.
Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York — Gameplay
You’re a nobody. An outcast in your own vampiric sect. A political prisoner of no particular value. An immigrant who never found her roots in a city of immigrants. A chain smoker whose favorite pastime is staring blankly at the streets through the windows of a fast food joint at 4:00 a.m. The sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach tells you that you’re doomed, and distorted voices from the shadows seem to agree. The curse of your clan makes interacting with everyday technology difficult. Dissociation is your natural state.
But when New York’s Anarch leader meets a gruesome end, out of all the bloodsuckers in the metropolis, you’re the one picked to investigate. Make no mistake: this is obviously a trap, yet another move in the horrible game of Jihad, the eternal struggle for power between warring vampire generations. But you’re Lasombra, and if there’s one thing you know, it’s this: if the Ventrue Prince and her followers underestimate you, they’re going to deeply regret it.
Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York is a visual novel set in the rich universe of Vampire: The Masquerade. It acts as a stand-alone expansion and a companion piece to our previous title, Coteries Of New York. While Coteries was a general introduction to the world depicted in the 5th Edition of the hit tabletop role-playing game, Shadows presents a more personal and unique tale.
- A visual novel tackling themes of personal and political horror, suitable for both Vampire: The Masquerade veterans, and fans of narrative-driven games who are newcomers to the setting.
- A stand-alone expansion to Coteries of New York. See the familiar metropolis through entirely different eyes. Expect new characters, new locations and a fresh original soundtrack.
- Play as a member of the Lasombra clan. Formerly vicious foes of the Camarilla, the Magisters decided to search for safety in the ranks of their former enemies. Master the shadows and communicate with the inhabitants of the Other Side, but beware – Oblivion is always lurking out there, ready to devour you whole.
- Explore the streets of the Big Apple. While you search for ways to satiate your bloodthirst, catch glimpses of various fascinating vignettes and forge connections with the eccentric inhabitants of the city. One playthrough won’t be enough to see it all.
- Shape your mind, shape your fate. You used to avoid defining yourself and tried to stay neutral, but given your situation, you can no longer afford to do so. The choices you make will alter the way you think, and your thinking will alter the paths you take.
How do you think this one will fit into the larger scale of Vampire: The Masquerade? Were you expecting more than a choose-your-own-adventure style of story or is this exactly what you have been waiting for? Would you like to see that all of these are playing into the larger world of the universe or do you like them being their own little slice and not relying on the other titles in the World Of Darkness out there? Let us all know down in the comments and then feel free to discuss it all. If there is more to Vampire: The Masquerade — Shadows Of New York, we will have it here on the site. Be sure to keep checking in for all of that.